February 18 marks the fifth annual “National Drink Wine Day.” As if anyone actually needed an excuse to drink more wine!
But if you haven’t given up the good stuff for Lent, here are a few reasons you should be especially sure to taste a tipple today.
1. We’ve got a standard to keep up. The US is now the nation that drinks the most wine by volume. Let’s keep that first-place finish by getting a head start on 2016’s consumption.
2. It’s healthy! Among the other known benefits of drinking wine, like improving cardiovascular health and mental function, red wine was also recently found to lessen the effects of diabetes. So toast to your health, literally, with a glass today.
3. Something to celebrate… It’s just been a long weekend, the Grammy’s and Super Bowl are over but the Oscars are still to come…there’s a lot to celebrate, so why not do it with a glass of wine?
4. Or to wallow in… That said, nothing soothes the soul like a glass of wine after a truly terrible day. Perhaps Napoleon said it best: “Champagne: in victory one deserves it. In defeat, one needs it!” So even better than celebration, desperation is as good a reason to drink as any.
5. Does one really need a reason? It was the first lady of champagne (well, maybe the second after Veuve Clicquot), Lily Bollinger, who put it all in perspective. And though she was referring to champagne specifically, I think her ethos can be extrapolated to cover the entire wine spectrum. Here’s what she had to say: “I drink champagne when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it. Unless I’m thirsty.”
And after all, it is thirsty Thursday…
What are you going to drink today? Tweet me about it @clustercrush!